Saturday 8 September 2007

538 Square Feet

My student room is about 50 square meters, or 538 square feet; it really is more like an apartment than anything else. I like to think it compensates for the lack of space I have left in my mind. For two years, I was convinced I was on the right track. My social and academic lives blossomed, my grades were good, my friends were better. I challenged, competed, participated and passed-out on open fields after nights of drunken debauchery. I travelled, stayed, and sometimes strayed, I have seen the old world and the new, I have written, I've read, I've watched, I've led, followed, talked, listened, smelled and touched. I've read Latin, Greek, French, German, Dutch, English and even languages I don't understand. I've tried maturity and realised nothing compares to childish ignorance. I've pretended to be everything I could think of and finally ended up with myself. And here I am. Starting my last year of college, pretentious, but at the same time so woefully ignorant. Confident, but scared like a little boy. I want to do great things, but where to start? As a graduating senior, I am faced with one of life's more interesting paradoxes. I do not want to join any club that actually wants me as a member. Oxford, Yale, Cambridge, Harvard... Could I ever? Would they ever? 
This blog will hopefully be rather like my room. A place that allows me to breathe a little, and catch up with my own thoughts.  Blogging has perhaps become a new form of meditation. So please feel welcome in my Buddhist Temple, and do not forget to take of your shoes. 

No comments: